Tuesday, April 5, 2011

thoughts of the day

In 2Kings chapter 24 we learn that Zedekiah who is only 21 years old is made king of Jerusalem.We are told in verse 19 that he did that which is evil in the sight of the Lord. We learn in 2Kings 17:13, that prophets were sent to tell Jerusalem to repent or their great city would be destroyed.We also can learn from the Bible that these people would not listen to the prophets.The women made cakes to Ishtar which was a fertility goddess. They committed vile deeds, adultery, spoke lying words in God's name. They also polluted the house of the Lord. We are told that their abominations were like the Heathens. Lehi, was one of the prophets sent to testify to Jerusalem that their great city would be destroyed, and the inhabitants thereof; many should perish by the sword, and many should be carried away captive into Babylon. (1Nephi 1:13) . This actually happened. we can read about it in 2Kings chapter 25. When I read this account I wonder why the people didn't listen to those whom God sent to warn the people to repent or they would be destroyed. I want to say that if I lived then, I would of been one to repent quickly. I would stop what I was doing that is wrong and change. Does God send prophets today as he did in ancient time to warn us to repent and make changes in our lives? I know he does. We have a living prophet today who's name is President Thomas S. Monson. We can recognize that he is truly God's prophet by prayer. In the Bible we are taught that by their fruits Ye shall know them. President Monson only tries to counsel us to repent and try to become like the Savior. I'm trying hard to listen to him, because I don't want to be like those people who didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment